Lent is a season of soul-searching and repentance. It is a season for reflection and taking stock. Lent originated in the very earliest days of the Church as a preparatory time for Easter, when the faithful rededicated themselves and when converts were instructed in the faith and prepared for baptism. By observing the forty days of Lent, the individual Christian imitates Jesus’ withdrawal into the wilderness for forty days.
So I decided this year I want to celebrate lent. It goes from Feb. 25th to April 11th. I will be turning 29 during this time and I think this is an excellent time to take "spiritual inventory" as some say to which this holiday is intended . I like the idea of it and feel like if it motivates me to change for the good, it is a good thing to take part in. As my way of taking part of celebrating Lent I will be giving up all soda to which I have pretty much been living on pretty regularly and would probably take it in iv form should it every be made. Now I am under the understanding that Lent isn't just about giving up but improving in general. So in essence I think I will swap that for daily regular excercise and meditation. Being a first grade school teacher, I am all about the paper chain links. I will make one 40 long, one for each day of lent and write some thing inspriring and as well as one set of some kind of excercise. I got about 15 but am feeling a little stumped so I am turning to the blogging world. Please "comment" an inspirational message, thought to meditate, as well as your favorite instant minute workout to help me complete my chain. I hope to get 30 by the 20th. So go ahead...contribute, comment, celebrate.
8 comments:
In the immortal words of Judge Judy, "Beauty fades, but dumb is forever." I've learned some great life lessons from watching court tv shows.
In this life we cannot always do great things. We can only do small things with great love. - Mother Teresa
The time is always right to do the right thing. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently. - Henry Ford
Everything comes to us that belongs to us if we create the capacity to receive it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Infinite striving to be the best is man's duty, it is its own reward. Everything else is in God's hands. - Mahatma Gandhi
I think this is a great idea ms.jones! I do I do. I think that it gives you something to work up too...except you are goin' off soda cold turkey! Yikes. I think you should blog every day how you are doing with it. It'll keep those who are doing it as well motivated. Great idea...I think I just might participate! :-)
I don't have an inspirational message for you, but you've insired me and I think I'm going to try to. I have a lot I should be working on right now! Thanks!
great idea aly! i need to do this for sure.
Does Diet Coke count as soda? Or does it fall under the "medicine" catagory???
Aly, I love this idea but don't have anything special to say, sorry! But I just saw your video of QH ANTM and am so disappointed that I'd left HI by then... pure hilariousness hahaha!
Hi Aly, This is a GREAT idea! Here are a few thoughts: "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "The real work of art is what you do with your own life." "Choose well. your choice is brief & yet endless" Goethe. "Look at everything as though you were seeing it for the first time. Then your time on earth will be filled with glory" Leo Tolstoy. Another thought, take time each day to write what you are grateful for. I think this is such a good idea and I might just join you for Lent.
Post a Comment