Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lent Living Preparation

I need to start out by saying that every time I think of blogging about this experience a few verses keep coming to my mind:

Matt. 6: 2, 5, 16

2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. • • •

5 ¶ And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. • • •

16 ¶ Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

I want to make it clear that my intent to blog about this experience is not to recieve any kind of "rewards" or "glory". I trully only mean it as an interesting experience, one that I have never tried before, and to share my experience with others. Maybe in the fact that I do not see it as being wrong means I do not trully understand the purpose of Lent. I am willing to admit that and should I ever choose to participate in Lent again I may change my mind in how I share it.

But as for now... on to my preparation for Lent. I think the best way to put it is.....

Hi my name is Alyson and I'm addicted to soda pop."

this is where you all chime in, "Hi Alyson!"

Yes I have a hard time admiting it and I go on and off, but I definitly drink too much. So for 40 days I am giving it up. (wow! That was hard to say!) Well, in an effort not to fail I have chosen a few things to help out. I started last Thursday and have only had 1 soda a day, I bought 2 cases of water, and I have started self talk ("I am not a soda drinker, I am NOT a soda drinker!")

So here I am at the end of my first day AND...I SUCCEEDED!!!

...at least day 1 :)

Day 2 Success- Although I did see a 5th grader walking down the hall with a diet coke and my initial instinct was to confinscate it, slip into the custodians closet and guzzel away...but alas I resisted the urge :)

Day 3 Made it-surprisingly it wasn't that hard today. I didn't make it to the gym but I did lift weights.

Day 4 & 5 definitly the hardest days. I think because I didn't have schoool to distract me. Sundays are probably the heavyest "drinking" days so yea it was rough but I did it! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! :) Yay! Keep up the good work!

Scoresbys said...

I'll try not to be a bad influence when I come visit. Good job!

Tara said...

thats great! keep it up!

Amy said...

You can do it, once I was off for a week, it didn't even tempt me, I was "Purged" as you might say and to give you the scripture reference is just too much trouble, love how you do that though it is briliant!

Matti said...

Aweome Alyson. I'm proud of you. ;-) I think you will find at the end of this 40 days you are stronger than you think. I gave up soda when I was 14, so I don't have any suggestions or helpful hints...but I imagine it was hard for the first while. Now I don't even care for the stuff. Good luck!...but you won't need it.